This project was totally inspired by the "Wicked" poster for the musical. My niece Amelia is a junior at University of Iowa and is a huge fan of the musical "Wicked" - so this will make a perfect treat for her Halloween care package! Here we are visiting Amelia on campus last fall - I can't wait to send her this fun care package!
I had been wanted to make a witch dress with the Dressup Framelits - so I decided to make a box for a treat. That is when inspiration struck about the broom lolli!
I got the sucker's at See's Candies - when we made this project in my Halloween Tricks and Treats class the suckers we used were the See's Chocolate Orange which had halloween theme wrappers. You could also use a Tootsie Pop or Blow Pop. This one is one of the regular "vanilla" ones.
And here is a video on how to make the dress box:
Don't forget to add lots of bling!
Here are the written directions - use the video to clarify or post any questions you have below!
1. You’ll need 1 piece of Basic Black card stock cut to 2 1/2” x 6 1/4” and scored at the center (3 1/8”) for the dress. Fold in half and cut. Place the fold past the top cutting area before cutting out with the dress up framelit.
2. Open the dress up and emboss it with the Beautifully Baroque embossing folder. Make sure to center the baroque design in the center of the skirt in the front.
3. Cut 2 of the dress forms from Old Olive – you only need the shoulders and the neck, discard the rest or save it for another project.
4. Face – punch out two from the small oval punch. You will have to cut these down to a little more then half during assembly so they don’t stick out above the hat.
5. Below is the box pattern. Use sticky strip to assemble.
score at ¾” on all sides
3" x 2 1/2"
6. Adhere box with stick strip to the inside of the dress “tent”.
7. Hat is from the “Best of Halloween” set and is embossed on Smoky Slate cardstock with black embossing power. When you cut it out, layer a piece of black behind it so you are cutting out two hats.
8. Use Glue Dots to attach the shoulders, face, and hat.
9. Sucker is from See’s candies. The stick is sponged with Early Espresso ink, allow ample drying time. To make the “broom wisps” use the Burlap ribbon. Place a piece of sticky strip on the bottom seam (the long edge), extend a little sticky strip past the end of the burlap ribbon so you have a little “pull” piece. This will make it easier to remove the red plastic backing later. Don’t remove the backing yet. Cut off the other seam off of one long side and pull the threads out. Remove piece of sticky strip on the remaining seam and wrap around the sucker stick.
10. Embellish the dress with Black Stampin’ Glitter using the two way glue pen and rhinestones that have been colored black with a Sharpie marker.
List of Supplies - to see the item, just click on the name.
Best of Halloween Clear Mount 134381
Basic Black 121045 Dress: 2 1/2" x 6 1/4", scored at 3 1/8", Box: 3" x 2 1/2" score at 3/4" on all sides
Old Olive 121045
Smoky Slate 131202
Black Embossing Powder 109133
Dress Up Framelits 130101
Magnetic Platform 130658
Big Shot Machine 113439
Small Oval Punch 120908
1 ¼” Burlap Ribbon 132140
Glue Dots 103683
Sticky Strip 104294
Have fun making Halloween treats for your friends and loved ones!